Useful Information – Traveling to Argentina

Useful information for travelers from all countries on requirements to visit Argentina.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is required to enter Argentina. U.S., Canadian and Australian citizens arriving in Argentina must pay an entry fee (see below). This fee must be paid online prior to arrival. The entry fee is valid for ten years and multiple entries. For further information on passport and visa requirements, please click here to be taken to U.S. citizens may also visit

Do you have an additional question? Email us.


No visa is required for visits up to 90 days for citizens from: The European Union, the United States and the following Latin American countries: Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panamá, Perú and Venezuela.

Do you have an additional question? Email us.

Argentina Entry Reciprocity Fee

Citizens from Australia, Canada and the United States will have to pay a Reciprocity Fee every time they enter Argentina only through the International Airport Ministro Pistarini (Ezeiza). Those who enter through the Jorge Newbery domestic Airport in the city of Buenos Aires or from a border country
by bus, car, cruise or train, will be exempted from this fee.

The payment of this “reciprocity fee” is NOT a Visa since Argentina does not require visa to nationals of the mentioned countries when traveling for tourism or business purposes.

The Argentine Government set this entry fee on equal amounts to those Argentine citizens must pay when requesting a Visa to travel to those countries.

How to pay the Argentina reciprocity fee online:
Register at Provincia Pagos ( and obtain an entry code.

Complete the form using your personal details and credit card details. The information entered and entry code will be sent electronically to DNM (Argentina’s Immigration Office).

After payment is processed, print your receipt.

When you arrive, go to the DNM office and present your printed receipt.

Your receipt will be scanned by the staff in Argentina and validated, allowing you to enter into the country.

Additional Information
For additional details on requirements for US Citizens, visit the State Department website or the Embassy of Argentina.

Do you have an additional question? Email us.


The weather in La Falda is essentially the opposite of that in the US. We enjoy warm summer months during your cold winter months.

As for what to pack we like to say “Dress like you do in Colorado!”  The general style is casual but don’t forget to bring hiking clothes and good walking/hiking shoes. The evenings can be cool so bring warm things to wear. During the day it can get quite warm so bring shorts too.

Click here to view our current weather.


The currency in Argentina is the Argentine peso (ARS). The peso is divided into 100 centavos. Coins come in 5, 10, 25, 50 centavo and 1 and 2 peso denominations. Banknotes are issued in values of 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100 pesos.  Travelers are allowed to bring $10,000.00 per person.

Click here to view the current currency exchange rate.

US Dollars and Euros are generally accepted everywhere and can be used for tips and incidental expenses while in transit. Foreign currencies can be exchanged in banks and authorized bureaus. American Express, VISA, Diners and Master Card are widely accepted.

Do you have an additional question? Email us.


To drive in Argentina you need to be 18 years old, though most car companies require you to be at least 21 years old. Driving is on the right with passing on the left. Traffic signals are the same as in most countries. You are required to have your US driver’s license. An international driving permit can be helpful. Other documents which it is a good idea to have with you are your passport, some proof of insurance, and your vehicle ownership papers which can be requested at border stops. Seatbelts are mandatory for all passengers.

Speed Limits
  • 40 kilometers per hour on side roads.
  • 60 kilometers per hour in built up areas.
  • 100 -120 kilometers per hour on highways and roads outside the city.

The conversion from kilometers to miles per hour is one kilometer = 0.62 miles per hour. Therefore 60 kilometers is 37 miles per hour.

  • Tourist Police: (011) 4346-5748 / 0800-999-5000
  • The U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires can be called on 54 11 5777 4354 or 54 11 5777 4873
  • Do you have an additional question? Email us.


    Argentine electricity is officially 220V, 50Hz. Adapters and transformers for North American equipment are readily available.

    Do you have an additional question? Email us.

    Mobile Phones

    You may want to contact your cell service and purchase a global plan to be able to text or use the internet. You must sign up with a plan before you arrive on South American soil. This is very important because without a global plan, you may incur roaming charges every time you turn on your phone.

    Useful Numbers
    Directory Listing (The White Pages): 110
    International Operator: 000
    National Operator: 19
    Mobile phone numbers start with 15
    International code for Argentina +54
    Regional code for Buenos Aires: 11
    Regional code for Cordoba: 351
    Regional code for La Falda: 3541
    La Falda Police: Emergency number – 101 | Direct number – 3548 426-652
    La Falda Fire Department: Emergency number – 100 | Direct number – 3548 422-631
    Hospital – 24 Hour Emergency: Emergency number – 107 | Direct number – 3548 425-824
    Official Time: 113
    Consumer Defense: (011) 5382-6216/17
    All 2 and 3-digit numbers are free, except the official time service (113). All 0800 numbers are toll-free numbers.

    Do you have an additional question? Email us.

    Medical Insurance

    You can’t assume your health insurance will go with you when you travel. It’s very important to find out before you leave whether your medical insurance will cover you overseas. You need to ask your insurance company two questions:

    Does my policy apply when I’m out of the United States?

    Will it cover emergencies like a trip to a foreign hospital or a medical evacuation?

    In many places, doctors and hospitals still expect payment in cash at the time of service. Your regular U.S. health insurance may not cover doctor and hospital visits in other countries. If your policy doesn’t go with you when you travel, it’s a very good idea to take out another one for your trip.

    To find and compare travel insurance policies, we suggest you visit

    Do you have an additional question? Email us.